So, I realize that my job in this space is to sound both interesting and cool. So, here it goes:
– I grew up in small towns: Battle Mountain, Nevada; Grand Junction, Colorado; Gunnison, Colorado; and Kelseyville, California.
– As an adult, I have chosen to live in larger cities: Portland, Oregon; Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts; and Savannah, Georgia.
– I spent the mid-1990s as a Community Organizer and Program Manager for a non-profit community development organization in an inner-city neighborhood in Northeast Portland. I also did a stint as an assistant in my college’s Volunteer Service Center. Those were both very mid-1990s things to do.
– I was the Pastor of Hyde Park Presbyterian Church in Boston from 2001 – 2006, a church with beautiful people of God from all over the world, mostly the West Indies and West Africa. I also served as Board President of a start-up community development organization in the Hyde Park neighborhood.
– I am currently the Pastor of White Bluff Presbyterian Church in Savannah, and I am thankful every day for the grace and faith of the people who worship and serve there.
– My wife, Mary, is the Pastor of Faith Presbyterian Church in Rincon, Georgia, and our son is an enthusiastic fourth grader who loves dance, singing, Dungeons & Dragons, and the Food Network. And no, he is not taking ballet so he can be better at football someday; he takes it because he loves it.
– If you ask about my purpose, I will start talking about promoting beauty and joy. Building justice, peace, and community are means to those ends. So are making art and tending a garden.
– And if you want to get in touch, feel free to leave a comment!